From May 2004 all owners of non-domestic premises are required to:
- Identify and document any asbestos in their premises
- Assess the condition of the asbestos and manage appropriately
- Introduce an asbestos management plan
- Inform and train their employees in regard to asbestos
- Inform anyone who may come into contact with asbestos of its location
Smiths Asbestos Surveying Division provide impartial advice on the sampling, surveying and management of asbestos containing materials (ACMs) within domestic, commercial and industrial premises. We meet the exacting standards for Quality Assurance, Technical Competence and Site Safety required by legislation and clients alike. All surveying and sampling inspections are in compliance with HSE document HSG264 Surveying, Sampling and Assessment of Asbestos Containing Materials.
Management Surveys – this survey will involve minor intrusion and some disturbance to locate, as far as reasonably practicable, the presence, extent and condition of any suspect ACMs in the building which could be damaged or disturbed during normal occupancy including foreseeable maintenance and installation works.
Refurbishment and/or Demolition Surveys – this a fully intrusive and destructive survey inspection used to locate and describe, as far as reasonably practicable, all ACMs in the area where refurbishment works will take place or in the whole building including those that may be difficult to reach, if demolition is planned.
In addition to Asbestos Surveying we can also undertake and assist with the following:
- Asbestos Sampling and Analysis
- Completion of Priority Risk Assessments
- Completion of Asbestos Management Plans
- Identification of Asbestos in Soils (Contaminated Land Assessment)
Our professional asbestos surveyors are all trained and certified to British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) P402 standards as a minimum, with experience and employment backgrounds in petrochemical, construction, building surveying, environmental science and consultancy. This ensures that our surveying team can deliver quality checked and technically accurate survey reports, which are in compliance with the latest standards and industry best practice.
Asbestos Management Plans
The asbestos survey is the initial fact finding exercise in managing your asbestos products effectively, once this has been undertaken you will need to formulate an asbestos management plan with the asbestos survey being the cornerstone of plan. An up to date asbestos management plan will ensure that you manage your asbestos in accordance with current legislation and regulations and should incorporate the following:
- Information from the asbestos survey report
- The likelihood of people coming into contact with asbestos
- The measures you need to employ to control the risks from asbestos within your premises