Apply for Logistics Manager (Gloucester)
Company Overview Smith’s (Gloucester) Ltd is a family run company based in Gloucestershire which has grown to be one of the largest Construction and Waste Management companies in the South-West. We now run an expeditious resource recovery haulage operation, including but not limited to: - scrap haulage, grain haulage, container haulage, recycling haulage and general haulage services. Our operations run from around 4am on Monday morning until mid-morning on Saturday. Responsibilities: The Logistics Manager will provide full management of the company's transport and operational functions. With our own modern fleet, we pride ourselves on providing an excellent service to our customers so attention to detail is important. The main responsibilities of the role will include driver and transport office management, staff development, resource planning and cost control as well as continuously improving the operation for increased efficiency. This is a day shift role but a flexible approach to hours is required to ensure you can manage all your team and responsibilities over the company’s working week. Other responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility for all Waste Transport operations and administration.
- You will be required to effectively and efficiently manage the Waste Transport fleet in accordance with customer, company, contractual and legislative requirements.
- To develop and maintain excellent open lines of effective communication both internally and externally. Whilst maintaining a positive “can do” approach to all tasks, whilst being approachable at all times.
- Integration and close working relationships with Waste Division managers and supervisors and other Smith’s divisional managers and supervisors.
- To build pro-active relationships with Smith’s Headquarters departmental managers and teams ensuring that Waste Transport business benefits from the specialist skills and support available.
- To problem solve and have the ability to route vehicles effectively, taking into consideration account profit and productivity.
- To ensure that Waste Transport is providing a safe and cost effective day to day operation that meets, if not exceeds, customer expectations, both internal and external.
- To fully exploit commercial opportunities.
- To maximise productivity and achieve company KPI’s
- Responsibility for all Health & Safety within Waste Transport, with support from the Waste Divisional Manager and/or H&S Group Manager when needed.
- To keep drivers informed about any changes in procedures and provide them with relevant information about their work, legislation and training if necessary. Arrange and conduct driver’s meetings/tool box talks, to ensure all drivers are kept up to date with company activities including current, new and future legislation.
- The successful candidate must have previous experience of managing in a transport environment and be confident in these duties.
- They must also be able to train and guide staff when necessary.
- The successful candidate will need a financial and commercial understanding and awareness.
- Able to create, develop and maintain strong working relationship with customers.
- Good decision-making skills, able to analyse, prioritise and plan as well as responding to quickly changing workloads.