Client: Chamwell Centre Charity
Location: Milestone School, Gloucester
Project Manager: Michael Wilcox
Duration: 10 Weeks
Smiths Construction were appointed as Principal Contractor to construct a new car park and children’s play area for the Milestone School, funded by the Chamwell Centre Charity.
Scope of work
• Remove all existing tarmac, soft landscaping and fencing from existing car park and play area in preparation for excavation to make way for a new car park and children’s play area.
• The first phase involved excavating and formatting for a tarmac and block paved car park including all kerbing, drainage and service ducting. Smiths achieved the desired hand over of half of the car park within 6 weeks to allow for further parking for the school.
• Works were then concentrated on the second half of the car park which included a large soak away tank and further drainage as well as the new children’s play area.
• The new play area proved challenging with many varying levels, curves and change of directions required to achieve the architect’s vision.
• Smiths were required to get all areas ready for specialist contractors to come in and install the rubber wet pour surfacing, artificial grass and tarmac surfacing all of which involved varying colours. This included; forming levels to wheelchair tunnel mound with stone and concrete blinding, establishing levels to construction decking platform with stone and concrete blinding, creating a curved construction moat in concrete with water channel in the middle, constructing the small mounds for the rubber surfaced play area and forming all areas ready for tarmac surfacing and artificial grass.
• The second phase was successfully handed over on program ready for the official opening.